29 August 2006

Why Gay People Exist (Part One)

JOHN 21:20-24
Peter turned around and saw behind him that other disciple, whom Jesus loved . . . the one who had leaned close to Jesus at the meal and asked, "Lord, who is going to betray you?" When Peter saw him, he said to Jesus, "Lord, what about this man?" Jesus answered him, "If I want him to remain until I come, what is that to you? Follow me!" So a report spread among the followers of Jesus that this disciple would not die. But Jesus did not say that he would not die. He said, "If I want him to remain until I come, what is that to you?" He is the disciple who spoke of these things, the one who also wrote them down, and we know that what he said is true.

This cryptic passage appears near the end of the Gospel of John. The exchange occurs after the Christ has risen from the dead. Even in His Holy form, the Christ shows great regard for this disciple He loves (presumed to be the Apostle John). I will have more to say about him, and about their relationship later.

But here, the Christ bestows a kind of extended life upon him. Yet we know that all the disciples did die before the Christ's return to Earth. However, something about this particular man remained in the world, and still remains.

I believe the Bible is filled with symbolism . . . many passages in it, such as the Revelations, are not to be taken literally. I believe that this disciple Jesus loved symbolizes a certain kind of human being: A homosexual human being. I believe he was the platonic lover of the Christ.

What is there about him that has survived from Biblical times onward? His kind has survived. I believe that this disciple symbolizes all Lesbians and Gay men.

Could this be? Could the Christ have so valued the love He received from this man that he would bestow upon his kind such a gift . . . that same-gender love would remain in the world until his return? Think of the implications!

We who are homosexual are vilified all over the world. We are beaten, jailed and executed (much as Jesus of Nazareth was). We are called unnatural, an abomination, a pestilence, a sickness. But what if our presence on Earth was mandated by the specific command of Jesus Christ?

I believe this may be so!

It is why I have never been bothered by the condemnations of preachers, rabbis, imams, etcetera. I have always known within myself that I belonged in the world, that I am not abominable, and that my sexuality is not offensive to God. Always! I pray that others will also carry this knowledge now.

"Why Gay People Exist" continues with Part Two.